The Planning Division is responsible for the administration of all necessary planning and development review related to all improvements and development within the city. The purpose of the Planning Division to preserve and enhance Painesville's unique character and quality of life by upholding the city's adopted development codes and regulations. Contacting the City Planner is often the first step in planning your next development project or obtaining proper permits.
- Answers planning and zoning questions
- Maintains, upholds and updates the City's Comprehensive Plan
- Reviews proposed businesses and issues zoning clearances for permitted use
- Reviews site development plans and subdivisions for residential, commercial and industrial projects
- Reviews land use applications such as conditional use permits, variances, design reviews, historic alteration, rezoning requests, etc.
- Collects and prepares material for the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals and City Council as needed
- Conducts environmental reviews and coordinates compliance activities
- Prepares recommendations for zoning code amendments