The following rules and regulations for cemetery grounds applies for both Evergreen Cemetery and Riverside Cemetery in Painesville, Ohio.
Flowers & Decorations
- One decoration (live) per occupied grave site (pot/basket/urn)
- Allowed Memorial Day to October 1
- One decoration (artificial) per occupied grave site
- Allowed November 15 to March 1. Artificial decorations are allowed during winter months only.
- Artificial decorations include (but not limited to): crosses, non-live wreaths, vigil lights, solar lights, styrofoam, statues, balloons, wind chimes, flags (non service), banners, glass, stuffed animals, etc.
- No in ground plantings are allowed. Mulch (wood bark) may be placed around headstone at a distance of 3 inches from stone edge out (see headstone section for more details)
- Holiday exceptions to the above rules:
- Easter holiday decorations allowed 5 days prior and must be removed by 5 days after
- Mother's Day decorations allowed 5 days prior and must be removed by 5 days after
- Halloween decorations allowed 5 days prior and must be removed by 5 days after
- Any items remaining on graves outside the above time frames will be discarded by cemetery personnel
- Any of the above decorations must be placed to the side of the headstone or at the head of the grave if no headstone exists
- Live cut bouquets are allowed all year round and should be placed directly in front of the headstone or in an 'in ground' container (please no vases of any type allowed for cut flowers)
- No items (decorations of any kind) are allowed during our scheduled cleanup months with the exception of the specific dates listed above
- Spring Clean Up is March 1 - Memorial Day
- Fall Clean Up is October 1 - November 15
Veteran Flag Holders
- Flag holders are provided by Veteran Services and maintained by the deed owner
- The holder is to be placed directly behind the headstone or directly to the side of the headstone
- Flags are permitted year round and will only be removed by cemetery personnel if torn, tattered or broken
- Local volunteer agencies like the American Legion and Boy Scouts, routinely place out flags (into flag holders) starting Memorial Day weekend
- All headstones must be approved by cemetery personnel per authorized headstone requirements
- No in ground planting are allowed. Monument lots are allowed plantings but only when approved by cemetery personnel and will be planted by cemetery personnel
- Mulch (wood bark) may be placed around the headstone at a distance of 3 inches from the stone edge out.
- No stone, gravel, pine nuggets, sand, etc is allowed in place of wood mulch
- No edging material is allowed
*Please note, the City of Painesville is not responsible for any broken or stolen items and reserves the right to remove any articles not keeping with the beautification standards of the cemetery or impeding the maintenance of the grounds.
*The City of Painesville's Cemeteries office has the right to review, revise , add or delete rules as necessary. Any item no addressed on the rules should be considered not permitted.