The City of Painesville bids for refuse collection for our residents. The cost of this service is paid for by the residents and is collected via the third party. Effective July 1, 2016, Republic Services is the refuse and recycling carrier for the City.
For questions regarding your bill, to set up service, to report a missed pick up, or any other customer service needs, please reach out to Republic directly at 216-441-6300 or visit their website at www.republicservices.com/customer-support. Republic's customer service office is open Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You can also manage your account through their self service portal and mobile app.
- Time of Collection: To ensure your rubbish and recycling materials are removed, please place bins out on the tree lawn by 7:00 a.m. on your scheduled weekly pick-up day. Do not place containers at the curb prior to 7:00 p.m. the day before collection. Please remove empty containers within 12 hours after collection.
- Placement: Place containers within 3 feet of the curb with the arrows facing the street. Do not place carts near mailboxes or other fixed objects.
- Holiday Exceptions: When a holiday falls on or before your regular pick up day, pick up will be one day late for the remainder of the week. The following holidays are affected: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
When it comes to recycling at home, everyone has a part to play. Beginning with the way you sort materials, and ending with efficient recycling pick up. Follow these simple guidelines to become a better recycler. Working together, we can make sure recyclable materials don't end up in our lakes and landfills.
- Know what to throw: make sure you're putting the right materials in your recycling container - paper, cardboard, metal cans, plastic bottles and jugs
- Empty, clean and dry: keep all recyclables free of food and liquid. One dirty item can contaminate an entire truckload, so make sure recyclables are empty, clean and dry
- Don't bag it: never bag or bundle your recyclables. items should be placed in the container loose, unless otherwise specified
NEVER recycle these items in your recycling container: batteries, bubble wrap, Christmas lights, clothes, coat hangers, diapers, electrical cords, food waste, food wrap, garden hoses, household cleaners, paint, pizza boxes, plastic bags, rubber balls, sports equipment, syringes or razor blades, tires, toys or stuffed animals, waxed cartons or wood/yard waste.
Yard WasteRepublic works hard to recycle your yard waste in a responsible way. Yard waste includes grass clippings, leaves, branches and general yard debris.
- Yard Waste must be contained in a brown paper bag or in a container marked YW. Please do not use plastic bags!
- Any items 4 feet in length, must be tied, bundled or somehow contained
- Yard waste is on an EVERY-OTHER-WEEK pickup schedule starting the week of April 1 through the week of December 15 on the same day as your refuse and recycle collection
- There is an option for weekly yard waste collection at an additional cost from Republic. Contact their customer service at 216-441-6300
- Fall leaf collection starts weekly October 1 through December 15. Christmas Tree curb side pick up occurs the first two weeks of January
Items that are too large to fit in your trash container are considered bulk waste. Many of these items can be picked up on your normal refuse day:
- Household furniture, mattresses, box springs or anything made of cloth material MUST be wrapped in plastic prior to pick up. Carpeting must be tied and rolled into 4 feet lengths. Any items not wrapped in plastic will not be picked up to protect the safety of Republic crews
- Tables, swing sets, lamps, small appliances, some home construction debris, etc. can be placed at the curb
- NOT PERMITTED items include large car parts, tires, batteries and any liquids
- Call customer service at 216-441-6300 to schedule disposal of large appliances like refrigerators and washing machines
- For bigger junk removal jobs, you can rent a dumpster and Republic will drop off and pick up on your schedule. Call customer service at 216-441-6300 for more information.
Lake County hosts multiple Special Collection events a year for items that cannot be thrown away or recycled. These items include:
- Hazardous Waste (oils, gas, antifreeze, grease, paints, stains, bulbs, batteries, chemicals, pesticides, adhesives, etc.)