Painesville's Utility Billing office oversees meter reading, billing and payment for all three divisions of utilities the city offers: electric, water and sewer. The City of Painesville is unique compared to other cities in that we operate and service full utilities to all our residents and parts of the surrounding area. We offer public utilities, meaning we are community-owned, not owned by a corporation or private enterprise.
Office Hours & Location
The City of Painesville Utilities Office is located on the first floor of Painesville City Hall, 7 Richmond Street, Painesville, Ohio. Please note, you must enter through the rear of the building from the back parking lot to enter City Hall.
- We operate Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- For questions or concerns, call us at 440-392-5797 or fax forms to 440-392-0111
There are various programs, such as HEAP, available for those struggling to afford utilities. Call Lifeline at 2-1-1 for more information on these programs.
Areas We Service
- Painesville City - All properties within city limits are serviced by Painesville Electric, Water and Sewer.
- Painesville Township - Some areas of the township are serviced by Painesville Electric but not water. This includes east of Painesville City, near Rt 84 and US 20, including the area around Riverside High School and Madison Avenue. The area of the township west of Painesville City is not serviced by Painesville Utilities. There are a few properties in the Grand River area that are actually in Painesville Township but are serviced by Painesville Water.
- Grand River Village - All properties in Grand River Village are service by Painesville Water, the exception being the few business along Williams Road and homes on Headlands Road.
- Perry Township - Painesville Electric has transmission lines that travel east on Rt 84 and US 20 to the Perry/Madison limit line and on the western end of River Road. Most properties in these areas are serviced by Painesville Electric but not water. All of the Middle Ridge Road area is serviced by Painesville Electric.
- North Perry Village - Parts of North Perry Village are serviced by Painesville Electric.
- Concord Township - Most of eastern Concord is serviced by Painesville Water, including the areas of Hermitage Road, Morley Road, Auburn Road, Crile Road, Ravenna Road, Rt 608, Prouty Road and the area surrounding Quail Hallow. Painesville Electric provides service to a few properties in the Ravenna Road and Prouty Road area.
Pay My Bill Options
- Auto Bill Pay: A direct withdrawal from your specified bank account on our due date. You will still receive your monthly bill as usual, allowing approximately two weeks to review the bill before the payment is made. To sign up, mail the Auto Bill Pay Application along with a voided check to Painesville City Hall, Utilities Office, P.O. Box 601, Painesville, Ohio 44077.
- Online: You can pay your utility bill online with a Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or AMEX card. Painesville Utilities uses the third party, Official Payments Corporation, to process credit card payments. To pay online, go to www.officialpayments.com (Jurisdiction code is 8411). There is a convenience fee for this service which cannot be waived. Another way to pay by credit card without the fee is to utilize your bank bill pay system. Contact your individual bank for bill pay options.
- Telephone: Pay over the phone with your Visa, MasterCard, Discover or AMEX card using Official Payments Corporation at 1-800-487-4567. There is a convenience fee for this service which cannot be waived.
- Mail: Utility bills can be mailed directly to the City of Painesville, Utilities Office, P.O. Box 601, Painesville, Ohio 44077. Plan ahead if you are mailing as bills are considered paid on the day they are processed, not the day they are mailed. Avoid those late fees!
- Drop Boxes: For your convenience, payments may be deposited in the drop boxes located in the parking lot behind the Fire Department (entrance from E. Erie Street) and on the back steps of City Hall (entrance from Mentor Avenue). The drop boxes are under 24/7 video surveillance and are emptied every business morning by 7:30 a.m. and processed daily during hours of operation.
- In Person: The City of Painesville Utilities Office is located on the first floor of Painesville City Hall, 7 Richmond Street, Painesville, Ohio. Please note, you must enter through the rear of the building from the back parking lot to enter City Hall. We operate Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Struggling to make ends meet due to affects of COVID-19? Lifeline, Inc, the Lake & Geauga Counties' Community Action Agency and Lake County's Fair Housing Resource Center are here to help with gas, electric, water, sewer, mortgage or rent bills. Find out more by contacting 2-1-1 or 440-639-4420.