Step-by-Step Instructions for Contractors Working in the City of Painesville
- Register as a contractor, provide bond and insurance to both the City of Painesville (see below) and the Lake County Building Department
- If required, complete zoning applications and permits with the City of Painesville. Obtain zoning and engineering approval.
- Please note for new residential housing, contractors will need to submit a permit to the City of Painesville for sanitary sewer tie in, flat work, sidewalks, etc.
- If required, present plans for plan review to the Lake County Building Department. Obtain plan approval.
- Contact the Lake County Building Department for all building permits, inspections and finals.
- Apply for and obtain certificate of occupancy from the City of Painesville.
The City of Painesville requires all General, Electric, HVAC, Plumber and Sewer contractors to be registered and bonded with the city. In order to register with the City, a contractor must have a current copy of their State of Ohio license and a Federal Identification Number (Federal ID#) and/or Social Security Number on file. To register:
- Complete the Contractor Registration Form and Contractor Bond Form
- Include an original, City of Painesville, signed surety bond in the penal sum of $25,000. Please supply your insurance company with the City of Painesville bond form. The bond should be written to begin January 1 and to expire on December 31 of that calendar year. The bond must be embossed with a seal from your insurance company. Foil or electronic seals are also accepted. The City of Painesville does not accept Continuation Certificates. Please be sure to sign the bond! Provide evidence of liability insurance for bodily injury in the amount of $100,000/$300,000 and for property damage in the amount of $50,000.
- Registration fees are payable to the City of Painesville via cash or check
- Registering between January 1 and January 31 - $100
- Registering between February 1 and August 31 - $150
- Registering between September 1 and December 31 - $75
Working without a Permit
Per City Code 1303.04: Where work, for which a permit is required by the City, is started prior to obtaining such permit, in addition to a one hundred dollar ($100.00) penalty, the fees required by the permit shall be double. The payment of such penalty and double fee shall not relieve any person from fully complying with the requirements of the law of the State of ordinances of this Municipality. In the event you are unsure if a permit is required, call our Community Development office at 440-392-5931 and we will be happy to assist you.
Current Registered Contractors