All full-time career firefighters with the City of Painesville are Civil Service, with the exception of the Fire Chief. Hiring for the position of firefighter is done through a competitive testing procedure run by the Civil Service Commission. All tests are certified and good for two years from date of certification.
- Applicants must be a State of Ohio Certified Firefighter level II prior to being hired
- Applicants must be State of Ohio Certified EMT-Paramedic prior to being hired
- Applicants must remain tobacco-free for duration of employment with PCFD
- Applicants must annually pass a physical agility test
Part-Time & Volunteer
PCFD is currently not hiring any part-time firefighters or participating in volunteer programs.
- How to become a firefighter in the State of Ohio
- Local Fire Academies: Auburn Career Center, Lakeland Community College, Tri-C, Lorain CC
- U.S. Fire Administration Training